By now, you are all aware that I love makeup and beauty and all that junk. I’ve been meaning to write a post to share some of my weirdest beauty tips and tricks that I’ve used over the years, but completely spaced on that, obviously. (Be better, Morgan. Be better!) Some of these things are pretty basic, but I always like to hear about other people’s beauty routines so I figured you might too. :)
Peach Fuzz Removal
A few years ago, I wrote about my girlstache and my method of getting rid of that mess. While I still use Sally Hansen’s Hair Remover Creme for that, I’ve also been using facial razors for unibrow and sideburn upkeep for years. Don’t go making that judgy face, guuuurl. We all suffer from The Sasquatchies in some form. There are tons of facial razors out there (Sephora has one for around $15 and it’s awesome, and stores like Walgreens usually have them as well), but my favorite has been this:
I don’t think we really need to comment on the name, do we? Yeah. Anyway, I found this pack of 3 at the dollar store and they’ve lasted me for months. Every week, I’ll ‘shave’ the peach fuzzy side burn things and down along my neck/chin area, and it leaves your face smooth and exfoliated. I’m being real here: I had NO idea I needed this before I tried it. I was amazed and completely grossed out the first time I used one. SO MUCH FUZZ.
I’m sure there are people who have issues with using a razor… “Eww, but those are for MEN!” Stoppit. I did the same thing when I first saw them, but I got over it when I realized how easy they are to use and how great the results are. Trust me! Watch this video by the MMandLShow on YouTube for a good tutorial. Your life will be changed.
I’ve had my fair share of breakouts, people. There have been some baaaad times, let me tell you. When I was 14, I was so embarrassed about my blemishes that I kind of just made up a routine that ended up working for me and I still use it to this day (almost 13 years later).
- Apply your foundation and concealer as usual
- Set it with loose powder
- THEN! Find a shade of eye shadow that is as close as you can get to the tone of your skin (WITH makeup on). I’m very fair so my shadow is almost always a very light tan shade. Get a little brush and dab some of the eye shadow onto your trouble spots and blend outward slightly.
- Top with another light dusting of powder and you’re good to go!
That little bit of extra coverage makes a HUGE difference for those times where your spots are really red and still show through your foundation/concealer.
Moisturizing Dry Hands/Elbows/Feet
This is another one I blogged about a few years ago. After I stopped nursing Maddie and Jack, I had a large supply of leftover nipple ointment for you know, that chapped thing that occurs when your baby is yanking and pulling on your boobs 12 times a day. This stuff right here works WONDERS on dry skin all over your body, especially that cracked, chapped winter dryness of the hands:
It’s like a giant tube of Chapstick that twists up. I’ve used other brands of my leftover nipple ointment and they all work pretty well, but this is my favorite. If you have any leftover from your nursing days, give it a shot.
I know this sounds a little ridiculous and unnecessary and I’m sure this isn’t for everyone, but I am super picky about how my eyelashes look. Mascara is always the thing I have the most trouble with because it’s hard to find one single tube that will help me achieve everything I want. Length, volume, no clumps, quick application, good wand. See? A liiiiittle high maintenance.
(I can totally see clumps right now and it’s giving me hives as I speak, but that fresh face of makeup has since melted off in the midst of my toddler-chasing fury, so this photo will have to do. But ahhhh)
What I’ve found that works best is to not use just one, but two different mascaras, each with it’s own unique strength. My two go-to’s at the moment are L’Oreal Voluminous (a favorite for years) and Maybelline Volum’ Express Mega Plush. They’re completely different, but work together perfectly.
Coconut Oil for… everything
Everyone has been informed of the wonders of coconut oil recently, thanks to Pinterest. It’s great for the skin, hair and even your brain. People use it all over their bodies because of it’s natural, safe moisturizing properties. A funny thing about it is that it’s solid at cool temperatures, so when I scoop it out of the jar, there’s always a little bit left on the spoon. I, not wanting to waste any of the magic, will either lick it right off the spoon or rub it on my face. Yep. Right there in the kitchen. A few nights ago I was cooking with it and Justin walked in at the exact moment I was rubbing the back of the spoon on my cheek. The face he made was the most disgusted, confused expression I’ve ever seen.
(I enjoyed every minute of it.)
Do you guys have any strange or helpful beauty tricks that work well for you? I’d love to add more things to my ever-expanding pile of weirdness.
Well, would you look at that? Summer is here. Yayyyyy. I am so excited I could do a dance. A dance that involves my middle fingers waving at the sun. I am sweaty. I am grubby. I am hot.
As much as summer makes me hulk rage, I still need to pull my melting self together and at least try to look good. Maybe then I’ll know what it feels like to smile.
Note: I really shouldn’t write posts while PMS’ing. Two days in a row? I’m sorry, guys. It’s been a rough one!
Here are some of my current beauty favorites that are helping me through this California summer.
1. Wet n Wild MegaGlo Illuminating Powder in Catwalk Pink – I just recommended this powder to a friend who was looking to brighten and freshen up the look of her skin. You get so much product for your money (mine doesn’t even have a dent and I’ve used it every day for nearly 2 months!) and it is perfect for that summery ‘dewy’ look without being overly sparkly. They have a few other shades available if you need a good bronzer.
2. Jordana INCOLOR Fabuliner (liquid eyeliner) – ZEE BEST. For someone who does a cat eye on the reg., I appreciate the fine tip and staying power of this stuff. It’s incredibly easy to apply, it stays ALL day and it’s $2.99! I bought mine online, but I’ve seen this brand of cosmetics for sale at the grocery store. Take a peek next time you’re shopping. SO worth it.
3. Braun Silk-épil 5 – Okay, I wasn’t sure about using an epilator for hair removal, but HELLO, CONVERT HERE! Yes, it stings a bit at first, but you toughen up quickly. I’ve been using it every 3 weeks on my arms (which I never realized were hairy until recently, ew) and my legs every 2 weeks. No need to do it any more than that! This little contraption is SO flipping amazing and I am in love.
Attention! Attention! Giveaway for this awesome epilator is coming soon!
4. L’Oreal Colour Riche nail polish in Butterfly Kisses – A soft purple/pink shade with a little shimmer… LOVE.
5. Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment – Picked this little baby up at Sally’s a few months ago on a whim and now I use it in my hair all the time. I’ve started using it more frequently since I’m in the pool so much and it’s been doing a fab job keeping my hair soft and the ends moisturized. The best part? It smells freaking delicious. I also put it on my food. Just kidding, that’s sick.
6. NYX Round Lipstick in Summer Love – Another online purchase, but they sell tons of shades at Ulta. These lipsticks are very inexpensive and many of them are dupes for MAC. This particular color is an awesome nude. It glides on so smoothly and stays put. I may or may not have purchased like 10 of these at once because there are just too many gorgeous colors to choose just one.
You know what’s next… chime in with your favorites in the comments! I would love to hear your current recommendations. I can’t promise I won’t start crying for no reason at all while reading them though.
Why, yes. I did actually pose ridiculously in my parents front yard in a new dress just to show you my new hair. ‘Tis how I roll.
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! I ended up going for the Bilson color and I’m growing out my layers and bangs to make it all one length. I’m so glad it’s dark again. It feels more like me.
As usual, when I’m about to get my hair done, I seek the opinions of my internet girls who don’t actually ever get to see my hair in person. Makes perfect sense to me! I don’t see the problem.
I do value all your stylish little thoughts and would love to hear what you think would look best on me. Except don’t say bald. I will ignore and then kill you.
The current scraggly state of my grown-out ombré craziness:
YEESH. It’s basically been forever since I’ve had my hair cut or colored, hence the ragged state. (Also, hi. I rode a see-saw with my entire family on Mother’s Day.)
Here are my requirements for the next ‘do:
1) I keep it somewhat long because it’s taken FOREVER to grow and I’m finally happy with the length.
2) I stay in the brown family, but as far as high/low lights go, I’m down for anything.
3) To bang or not to bang? That is the question.
Here are a few ideas I’ve been throwing around:
Give me all her makeup too, kthx.
Probably not getting bangs that short though.
So to be clear, we’re choosing between a bunch of long brown hairstyles that all look the same. Unless you can blow my mind with something entirely different. As long as it wouldn’t make me look like Bon Qui Qui, I’ll probably be up for it since I take advice from the internet on everything in life.
Let’s do this!
Judging by the reaction of my last Drugstore Beauty Love post along with the tweets and emails that followed, YOU GUYS LOVE YOUR LIP BUTTER. Can I just say how giddy it makes me that we have a common obsession? It makes me feel all kumbaya and girl powery knowing that you’re all doing the same thing I am: Bringing home multiple shades of these lipsticks and explaining to your husbands that no, you’re not crazy, these things are freaking awesome and that you might need just one more because Tutti Frutti just looks like sex in lipstick tube. (That was intended to sound appealing!)
I’m here to talk about my favorite PINK beauty products. Keep in mind, these can all be found at Target and will not, I REPEAT, will not break the bank. That’s what I love most!
I have a thing for pink. Always have, always will. I’m drawn to bright, ultra-girly bubblegum shades and get really excited when I find one that works for me. These are my current loves:
- Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Cupcake
- Essie Nail Polish in Lovie Dovie
- e.l.f. Cosmetics blush in Pink Passion
Now before you go all HOLY NICKI MINAJ! Those are ridiculously bright!… see what they look like on your average white girl:
And I am WHITE. Like, glowingly-so. The e.l.f. blush may look scary in the package, but when applied with a light hand, it’s totally not boom badoom boom, boom badoom boom bass status. Unless that’s a good thing? Then, BOOM. Also, it’s like $3. Can’t beat it.
Look, ma! My left hand can be on Pinterest now! But seriously, Essie’s Lovie Dovie has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. It’s the perfect pink. And Lord knows if I strayed from my beloved Revlon polish, it was for a legit reason. I LOVE THIS STUFF.
Now, for me, this is the best part… what are YOUR favorite beauty products in the lovely shade of pink?