Those of you who bloat beyond recognition after eating anything with dairy — I feel your pain! Lactose intolerance is the devil. I can’t even look at fettucine alfredo without my stomach ballooning into oblivion.
Thankfully, after years of experience I have mastered the art of hiding the great bloated beast, while still remaining fabulously sassy and stylish… not to mention, humble. ;)
Fortunately, with all the great trends of the moment, you can wear a loose-fitting tops and dresses without the danger of being mistaken as pregnant. That happened to me once and ONLY ONCE, and you better believe I burned that yellow top without a second thought!
Keep these tips in mind next time you go shopping — they help me every day!
- Big, baggy t-shirts defeat the purpose of aiming for cuteness. Stop right now and ask for forgiveness for allowing that thought to enter your pretty little head!
- Stay away from anything too short. If the hem of your shirt hits you anywhere near the danger zone, you might as well just wear your bra, because you’re not hiding anything. (I’m kidding — please don’t!)
- Be wary of ribbed sweaters, and any fabric that is too thin, stretchy, or clingy.
- Just because it’s loose, doesn’t mean it’ll do the job! Garments should still fit your frame and body type without hanging awkwardly, pulling, or looking just down-right dumpy.
- A well-fitted camisole worn under a flowing garment will give that extra support without adding bulk.
- Empire waists are your holy savior. Stick with them, and no one will be able to tell you had that frappuccino with extra whip. Not that I’m condoning that sort of behavior.
- Wrap dresses can be a lifesaver as well. Most items that are belted at the waist can give the illusion of a slimmer mid-section.
- You know that girl friend of yours that tells the absolute, blunt truth when you really don’t want to hear it? When in doubt, ask her opinion. She will come in handy.
Some great, affordable options:
What are your figure-flattering tricks? I know I’ve only scratched the surface…