With the busy-factor steadily rising in my life, I’ve been trying my hardest to keep my sanity in check. I have a tendency to commit to a billion different things and make the mistake of letting myself get overwhelmed too easily. Honestly, I’m not really sure that my life is really that busy, but when things start piling on and I’m not organized or in control, I have a major freak out… and let me tell you, it’s not pretty. I usually end up canceling everything I had planned in the first place and wimping out because it’s just so overwhelming. Drama queen? Nooooo.
I have found a few things that seem to help me out if I’m feeling a bit stressed. Feel free to add your tricks to my list… especially now that you see I’m a total nutcase and need all the help I can get!
Things I do to Prevent a Melt-Down
- De-clutter… Whether it be my desk at work, the random stuff that ends up on the kitchen table, or the pile of heels that I’ve kicked off in the entryway.
- Two words: Bubble bath. I have my hubs to thank for this one, because every once in a while he’ll have one ready for me when I get home from work. I never really think to take one, otherwise.
- To keep up with the housework on a daily basis, I set the egg timer for 15 minutes and do as much dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, and toilet scrubbing as I can in that amount of time. When the timer goes off, I’m done.
- Lists, lists, lists. If I see it on paper in my own handwriting, I feel like I have it under control.
- I have a pretty amazing grocery shopping system down right now, with the help of Simple Mom.
- When I’m getting ready to back out of something I’ve committed to (I know, I’m awful!), I remind myself of how much fun I had ‘last time’.
- Reading a little bit of the Bible each night before bed (or in the morning before going to work) is always uplifting and encouraging.
- Make time for the things I enjoy (read a good magazine, give myself a mani/pedi, do something crafty or go to coffee or tea with a friend). When I do something for me, I’m less likely to flake out on you. Haha. No, but seriously… I am.