You can catch more creepy details of my makeup obsession by reading Part 1.
Right. So my makeup routine didn’t seem all that complicated to me until I actually dumped out everything I use on a regular basis and tried to make some sort of sense out of it in order to take a photo and explain to you all what I actually go through each morning. After basically sitting and staring at the pile of stuff for a full ten minutes, my conclusion was this: I put a crap-ton of crap on my face.
Well, okay, let me take that back. I do use several products, but I try my best not to overdo it to the point where I resemble A) a clown, B) myself from my secretive Spice Girl bedroom makeup sessions of yesteryear or C) any cast member of Jerseylicious. (No, I did not just make that word up and yes, you absolutely should watch the show. It’s a mess and I love it.)
She knows the true meaning of subtle.
I don’t know who is truly interested in hearing about The Crap I Put on My Face, but since I happen to love reading about what everyone’s favorite brands and products are, I took a picture for you…
I will now dissect said photo into extreme and quite annoying detail… for your convenience, of course. Keep in mind I don’t use every single one of these all at once, but tend to alternate them according to how skanked-up I prefer to look that day.
Just kidding. Enjoy. (Prices are approximate)
- Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer – $16: When I first heard of skin primers, I thought it was the biggest waste of time and money EVER. Why add an extra step to your makeup routine in the morning when you’re already so busy? Then I was given a sample of this Smashbox primer at Sephora and was completely converted. It’s really quick and easy to apply and you don’t have to be precise with a brush or anything like that, but it makes your foundation stay-freaking-put. It’s probably my favorite thing in the photo.
- Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse – $8: I always try out different foundations, but just keep coming back to this one. It goes on smooth and covers really well. Two chubby pregnant thumbs up.
- Sonia Kashuk Bronzer – $10: This brand is actually pretty inexpensive and you can find it at Target. I don’t wear bronzer very often and am honestly trying my best to embrace my God-given whiteness. However, when I do feel too pale in the face and just can’t take it any more, this helps a ton.
- Benefit Cosmetics Boi-ing Concealer – $18: Ashley from Our Little Apartment turned me on to this stuff a few weeks ago. THANK YOU, ASHLEYYYY! I have major dark circle issues under my eyes and this stuff works like magic and feels like buttah.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Double Face Perfector – $7: The name is a mouthful, but it’s basically just a 2 in 1 concealer for blemishes and a highlight. On my particularly haggard days (meaning, every day since June), a little bit of the highlight strategically placed makes my skin look so much brighter. Not sparkly, just brighter.
- NARS Blush in Super Orgasm – $26: Their plain old “Orgasm” is a great shade too. Obviously.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream in Peach – $22: Cream blushes are really natural and look more dewy than powder does. I don’t use this every single day (more so in the summer), but the color is great.
- Sephora Matifying Foundation – $20: Again, I don’t use this every day or with all the other skin products I’ve mentioned so far, but when I’m in a hurry, this stuff is perfect. It has great coverage and comes with a sponge, so it applies like a compact powder.
- Maybelline Colossal Volum’ Express Mascara – $5: My eyes water like no one’s business, so waterproof it is. This mascara doesn’t clump up on me at all. I like.
- (Three of my favorite lip products right now) Maybelline Color Sensational Pearl Lipstick in Pearly Pink – $5, MAC Lipgelee in Bubble Lounge – $14.50, & MAC Lipglass in Nymphette – $14.50. Sometimes I wear them alone and other times I layer two of them at once. Love love love.
- MAC Eyeshadows in Mystery, Woodwinked, Club, Gleam, Shale & Sable – $14.50 each. It was hard to choose my favorites because all MAC eyeshadows are amazing. They stay in place all day and are really pigmented. Just talking about them makes me want to go back to the mall and get another one or five. I have issues.
- MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack – $15: I know this sounds stupidly dramatic, but gel eyeliner has changed my life. I used to use a pencil, but it would melt off in a few hours and I’d end up reapplying over and over again throughout the day. Not a fan of the maintenance. With gels, you apply it with a small angled brush (I use this one from Sephora) and it seriously is not as much work as it sounds. Okay, maybe at first while you get the hang of using the brush, but it is totally worth it because IT STAYS.
Okay, DONE. Now have you tried any of these and loved them as well? Hated any? What are your go-to products? If you happen to do a post on your own blog about your makeup routine, please feel free to link to it in the comments. I’d love to know that I’m not the only one with a ridiculous makeup obsession.